Dr. Will Harrill joined Dr. Harry King, the founding member of Carolina Ear, Nose & Throat – Sinus and Allergy Center in 1998. He served as president and CEO of Carolina ENT from 2001 to 2018, overseeing the transformation from solo practice to a regional provider of ENT care. He currently serves as director of clinical research. From 2008-2010 he served as the founding chairman of the board of the Viewmont Surgery Center, helping to bring lower cost ambulatory surgery options for out-patient surgery to patients in the region.
Within the North Carolina Medical Society, Dr. Harrill serves as co-chair of the North Carolina Otolaryngology Healthcare Policy Advisory Committee (OHPAC) and at the national level he serves on the Physician Payment Policy (3P) Workgroup of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Within the Triologic Society, he is a member of the Thesis Committee.
Dr. Harrill currently holds clinical associate faculty positions within the Departments of Otolaryngology at both Wake Forest Baptist Health and the University of North Carolina School of Medicine.
Currently, Dr. Harrill is the co-investigator in a value-based clinical study of an allergy immunotherapy integrated practice unit model focusing on patient compliance and patient journey mapping through a Wake Forest Baptist Health approved IRB. The study goals are to validate allergy immunotherapy compliance reported measures and develop and integrate strategic patient engagement triggers to improving allergy immunotherapy compliance within a chronic disease management model.
Dr. Harrill is board certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and is a Fellow of the Triological Society. He is a member of the American College of Surgeons and the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, the American Rhinologic Society and the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
A native of Winston-Salem, NC, Dr. Harrill graduated from the University of North Carolina with a degree in chemistry and received his medical degree from the Medical College of Virginia. He completed his otolaryngology residency at the Baylor College of Medicine at Houston, Texas in 1998.
- Harrill WC, Melon DE. A Field Guide to U.S. Healthcare Reform: The Evolution to Value-Based Healthcare. Laryngoscope Investigative Otolaryngology. May 1, 2021.
- Harrill WC. Vaping during the Covid-19 Pandemic: NOT GOOD!!. Laryngoscope Investigative Otolaryngology. April 20, 2020.
- Harrill WC, Setzen G, Farquhar D, Pillsbury HC. Contemporary Analysis of Otolaryngic Allergy. 2020;130(2):283–289.
- Harrill WC, Melon DE, Seshul MJ, Katz MS, Zanation AM. Contemporary Analysis of Practicing Otolaryngologists. 2018;128(11):2490–2499.
- Harrill WC, Pillsbury III HC, McGuirt WF, Stewart MG. Radiofrequency Turbinate Reduction: a NOSE evaluation. 2007;117(11):1912–1919.
- Stewart MG, Friedman EM, Sulek M, Hulka GF, Kuppersmith RB, Harrill WC et al. Quality of life and health status in pediatric tonsil and adenoid disease. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2000;126(1):45–48.
- Harrill WC, Stasney CR, Donovan DT. Laryngopharyngeal reflux: a possible risk factor in laryngeal and hypopharyngeal carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, Apr 1999, 120(4) p598-601.
- Stewart MG, Harrill WC, Ohlms LA. The effects of an outpatient practice guideline at a teaching hospital: a prospective pilot study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, Oct 1997, 117(4) p388-93.
- Harrill WC, Jenkins HA, Coker NJ. Barotrauma after stapes surgery: a survey of recommended restrictions and clinical experiences. Am J Otol. 1996;17(6):835–846.
- Harrill WC, Stewart MG, Lee AG, et al. Chronic Rhinocerebral Mucormycosis. Laryngoscope, Oct 1996, 106(10) p1292-7.
- Harrill WC, Lew Hl, Hardcastle RC, Jerger SW, Jerger JF. Effect of Presbyacusis on Linguistic Interference Effects. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 1996; 115 (2):96.
- “Value-Based Healthcare: Developing Reporting Measures for Otolaryngic Allergy”. American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy Annual Meeting, October 2020.
- “Value-Based Healthcare: Opportunities within Sinus and Allergy Disease”. American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy Annual Meeting, October 2020.
- Panel Moderator. “Value Based Healthcare: Opportunities within this Evolving Paradigm for Otolaryngology”.American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Annual Meeting, Boston MA, September 2020.
- “Outcomes Surveys in Otolaryngology: Strategies for Functional Implementation and Analysis within a Clinical Setting.” North Carolina/South Carolina Annual Otolaryngology Society Meeting. August 2019.
- “Otolaryngic Allergy: Building a clinical home for the future.”Podium presentation. Oasis Symposium. March 2019.
- Panel Moderator. “Otolaryngology BCBS Panel: Exploring a New Era in Patient Care.”North Carolina Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. February 2019
- “Contemporary Analysis of Otolaryngic Allergy”Triological Society. January 2019.
- Panel Member. “Training the workforce today for the challenges of tomorrow.”Society of University Otolaryngologists Annual Meeting. November 2018.
- “Otolaryngic Allergy: Clinical Trends.”North Carolina/South Carolina Annual Otolaryngology Society Meeting. July 2018.
- “Strategic Planning Principles: Tools to solve the challenges we face in medicine.”North Carolina/South Carolina Annual Otolaryngology Society Meeting. July 2018.
- “Contemporary Analysis of Practicing Otolaryngologists.”Triologic Society. January 2018.
- “SWOT Analysis and Strategic Planning Principles: Tools to Solve the Challenges We Face in Medicine.”Newton Fischer Society Meeting UNC Department of Otolaryngology. June 2017.
- Panel Moderator. “Otolaryngology in the Carolinas: Challenges, Issues, and Opportunities.”North Carolina/South Carolina Annual Otolaryngology Society Meeting. August 2016.
- “Radiofrequency Turbinate Reduction: A NOSE Evaluation.”Triological Society. May 2007.
- “Effect of Presbyacusis on Linguistic Interference Effects.”American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation’s Association for Research in Otolaryngology. September 1996.
- “Barotrauma Following Stapes Surgery: A Survey of Recommended Restrictions and Clinical Experiences.”American Otological Society. May 1996.
- “The Effects of an Outpatient Practice Guideline at a County Hospital: A Prospective Pilot Study.”Association for Research in Otolaryngology Midwinter Meeting. February 1996.
- “Chronic Rhinocerebral Mucormycosis.”American Rhinologic Society. May 1995.
- “A Decade of Laryngeal Cancer Management at the Medical College of Virginia.”Virginia Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. May 1992.